The Common Application is open and ready to go! As you begin to complete your individual applications for each college/university it’s nice to hear some sound advice directly from admissions counselors who have read thousands of applications. The University of Michigan asked for their senior admissions counselor’s perspective in the article titled: The Common App opens August 1! OK… so now what? Take a look at one of the quotes from the article and I encourage you to head over and read the entire blog. You can read the entire article here: The Common App opens August 1! OK… so now what?
There are a number of things that students can do to make sure the Common App process goes smoothly:
– Start early and take your time.
– Do your research and be aware of the requirements and deadlines.
– Read the questions carefully.
– Do not rely on the computer spell checker.
– Proofread, proofread, proofread.
– List your activities in order of importance and highlight leadership roles.
– Choose your recommenders wisely and be careful entering their contact information into the application.
– Give your counselor and academic teacher plenty of time to submit the School Report and letter of recommendation.
– Use the essays as an opportunity to bring your own voice to the application and tell us a story about yourself.
– Be mindful of word counts and avoid any unusual fonts or formatting.
– Review your application before submitting.
– Be on the lookout for an email from our office after you submit the Common Application. This email will include instructions on how to set up your friend account so you can monitor your application materials.
Julie Pollak, Senior Admissions Counselor
Leave a Reply